LIVERPOOL SCHOOL OF TROPICAL MEDICINES

United Kingdom, England

About the institution Founded in 1898, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (LSTM) was a pioneer among institutions in the world that devoted to tropical medicine researches and teaching and it functions with the mission to reduce the adverse effects of sickness and death in endemic burdened countries through effective interventions in communities of underdeveloped areas. The school works with health authorities, research institutions and universities to mold expert health professionals, researchers and scientists by offering Masters’ programmes and Ph.D. research to over 600 students of 68 nations. It holds the vision to reduce mortality in poor countries and works with values of increasing wellbeing, innovation, effective leadership, creating opportunities to study and work and honesty.

Campus Life

LSTM’s library offers students, academics and researchers with references mainly on tropical diseases, international public health, parasitology, pediatrics, epidemiology, humanitarianism, entomology, reproductive health and the related medical and biological sciences. The library staff support students’ learning through dissertation workshops, practical lectures and demonstrations and one-to-one appointments along with virtual support like videos and tutorials. Students can use the service of Liverpool Student Homes (LSH) which is managed by LSTM, the Liverpool John Moores University, LIPA, University of Liverpool and the student unions to find accommodation sites for short- and long-term tenancies or stay at a hotel before deciding about the residence.

Noted Alumni

The first Ghanian woman to be given doctorate, Dr. Letitia Obeng obtained her Ph.D. in 1964 from LSTM and her research was about the growth of disease vectors particularly the blackfly in freshwater lakes carrying river blindness. Among other notable alumni are Anton Breinl who discovered trypanosomiasis can be cured by atoxyl, the first prime minister of Sierra Leone, Sir Milton Margai and Francis Edward Camps, a pathologist.